Family pic

Family pic

Friday, January 9, 2009

Happy (?) New Year

It was a rough start for our new year. My grandfather passed away in the very early hours of Christmas morning. We attended his memorial service on the second. In the very early hours of the fourth, my two oldest children began vomiting. The stomach bug wreaked havoc on our household for about 24 hours. Although, Anderson still has some lingering effects now. On the seventh, Justin turned 30 which he may have thought was more difficult to deal with than a funeral or a stomach virus! :-)

It was a rough start, but I am trying to look at the positive aspects of our troubles. My grandfather did not suffer. We was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and passed away within days. He has had dementia for the past several years and his mind was declining steadily. His passing preceded the long, slow death that Alzheimer's causes. I am thankful that we were able to visit with him in October. I have a wonderful memory of Anderson greeting him at the door; Anderson looking up into his eyes and my grandfather hunched over looking back at him, both with a child-like stare. My grandfather just sat there after lunch watching my children in all of their busyness smiling.
The stomach bug. Well the only postive spin I can put on that is that it was a quick one.
And my husband turning thirty. Well, I love him more now than ever. He is a wonderful husband and a terrific father. Age is just a number. Besides, I'm right behind him in a few weeks!

One of my resolutions is to keep this optimistic, look-on-the-bright-side approach to my daily life. I have several resolutions this year. And I've made a few for my family as well! I'll try to post the Prevette family resolutions soon... because more frequent blog posting is on that list of New Year's resolutions.

2 comments:

4torock said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather- its so hard not to have the person right there to see/hear your children but yet knowing our Father welcomed him with open arms is an awesome feeling I think! :) prayinng for NO more buggies at your house and Justin-- I soo don't know that feeling yet of 30!-- hee hee sorry a little cruel:) ! Happy Bday:)

Lynn Savell said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. It's hard to lose a grandparent no matter how sick they may be. Glad to hear you are all over the bugs! We are battling head lice at my house. Tell Justin Happy Late Birthday. I thought he was older than me!? I'll be 31 in Feb. Happy early Birthday to you, Chelsea!