Family pic

Family pic

Friday, February 15, 2008

He's Off the Hook!



Justin got off the hook this Valentine's Day. We bought a 2005 Honda Odyssey on February 11th. We have been planning to buy a van and searching for a few weeks now, so it was inevitable that we were going to buy one. Three children would not fit in the Highlander. It just so happened that we found the van we wanted a few days before V-day. Just after the purchase Justin said "Happy Valentine's Day!", which meant that he would not be buying me a present. It was fine with me. I have been longing for a minivan for quite some time now. (I never thought I'd hear myself say that!) I did get a card, but he had to work late yesterday. So my Valentine's Dinner was spent with my 2 children at Chick-fil-a. Not the romantic evening I had hoped for. I have come to accept the fact that my husband is not romantic.


I am a card person. I could spend hours reading them. Justin has set up a "card limit" when he is with me. I have to make a choice by the 15th card. If not, #15 is it. I hate that rule. I like to pick out the perfect card for the recipient in mind. He does not understand this concept. For example, the anniversary card he gave me last year had a beautiful scripture verse about love and pictures of roses on the front, but on the inside it said "Wishing you many more years of happiness". The card was intended for the anniversary couple from someone else...not from husband to wife! He apparently did not read 15 cards to arrive at that choice!


Another thing about my husband is that he is thrifty...frugal...cheap. Whatever you want to call it! So, he was happy to hear that the Saturday after Valentine's we had plans to attend a family ministry event at our church. A catered, free-to-family-minstry-volunteers event. Which to him equals a date!

So my hubby got off the hook for Valentine's Day with a present and a date!

Now, I don't want to seem like I am an unhappy wife. Quite the contrary! I am so happy to be married to my wonderful husband. He works so hard to provide for our family. He wants me to be at home with the children because he feels it is what is best for them and knows that is my heart's desire. He tries to make me happy in every way he can...in the little and the big things. Big things like a minivan with all the options (dual powing sliding doors...loooove it!) and in little things like helping with bathtime, laundry and dirty dishes. He can make me laugh like no one else, even when I'm crying. He is so darn good-looking! He always kisses me and tells me he loves me before going to sleep and going to work. He is a wonderful father. I love to watch him play with our kids, and I love to watch their eyes light up when he walks in the door. He takes all the duties of fatherhood in stride. I love the way I feel when I am with him and I miss him when he's away for even a little bit. I just love that man!
So, this Valentine's day I am a happy woman! My husband is "off the hook" and I mean that in the good rapper way!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valentine’s Day has definitely changed for us as well now that we have a kid. I was able to take a day off from work and celebrate earlier in the week. It was nice to have a long weekend and go out for a meal without having to pay for a babysitter. However, I’m a little jealous of you. Our closest Ckick-Fil-A is about an hour and a half away from us.

Oh, and congratulations on the new car. It looks very nice.

Susan said...

Welcome to the "Minivan Mom Brigade". I couldn't go back to an SUV now.

It is so obvious from your words that you are so in love with your husband and I think that is awesome that you can put your feelings into words like that. Thanks for sharing, it gives me encouragement to find all the things about Todd that I love!

farmersdaughter4ever said...

Congrats on the van!...I know you have been looking for a long time! I am so excited for you, and I can't wait to see it!
love ya
Beth
Justin is a lucky guy! LOL :)

Lynn Savell said...

glad to hear that you had a great valentines day. Nick bought me two satin roses that I love...no water required and they won't die! Poor guy has double duty, my birthday is the day after v-day, he took me out to dinner with no kids!!