Family pic

Family pic

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sweet Escape

If I were technically savvy I would put the song by Gwen Stefani with the same name as the post title to play in the background....WOO HOO, WEE HOO....but I'm not!
I really need a sweet escape right now. I thought I needed one last week, but now I reeeeeally need it. I have been looking forward to a girls' retreat with my book club/small group, L7, for weeks. Well at 2a.m. 3 days before I was to leave Anderson began vomiting. The same day Justin started to run a fever, feel achey, and flu-like. By Thursday, Justin was confirmed to have the flu at Urgent Care and Anderson was admitted to the ER with dehydration. My first trip to the ER as a mommy, and hopefully (but probably not) my last. I had to take him by myself because Justin was so sick. That was the beginning of a very long and exhausiting week. My capacity for sleep deprivation and caring for my family have been pushed to the limits. I thank God for my family and Justin's family. They have been such an enormous help to us. I was able to shuffle around Anagrace and Ashton the past few days among our relatives so that they were only minimally exposed to the germs around here. This is the 3rd night they have been away from home...I miss them so much!
Things have been so crazy that I have had very little time to do anything other than change countless diapers, administer medicines, and care for my sick fellows. Even finding time to shower and eat have been challenging. So even the simplest of escapes have been few and far between. My typical escapes from stress are the computer, TV, and food...not very proud to admit that. I wish I could say it was exercise or something more productive.
Tonight I got a chance to catch up on blog reading and write this post and I visited facebook briefly. Wednesday I watched LOST and Friday I watched the movie The Secret Life of Bees. Last night, I ate some Chinese food. I think the portion was intended for two people because they gave me 2 fortune cookies. Hmmm...Oh well! I was hopeful after reading the first fortune:
But, then I opened the second one:

Not exactly true at the moment.

I have decided to hold on to these true promises:

God is [my] refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1 .

and

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13

I know that I will get through this and afterward all of the daily stresses that go along with motherhood. I must look to Him and His Word for a true sweet escape.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I am so sorry that your boys are sick. I hope that you and the rest of the family can escape getting sick. However, your post doesn't give me much hope for how I feel since last night I started with the achy feeling and a fever -hope I'm not coming down with the flu! Hope you get your Sweet Escape soon!

Jenny said...

Oh Chelsea... I am so sorry that everyone has been so sick! I know how hard that can be on a mommy! Take care and I really hope everyone feels better soon!!