Family pic

Family pic

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Bittersweet


Anderson has taken three formula bottles since Wednesday. Justin and I went out for a few hours when he 2-3 months old and he took bottles then, but they contained breast milk. I tried formula bottles to no avail at 5 months. The past few weeks he has been battling sickness and an ear infection, so he has not had any interest in eating baby food. His interest has been solely in breastfeeding. In one word...OUCH! I was eager to try the bottle again. And so, here is the bittersweet transition. I don't think I am ready to entirely wean him, but I am ready for a break and some freedom.

Last month, my mom kept him while Justin and I attended our class reunion. But, before his bedtime he needed to nurse. My mom brought him to the restaurant, so I could feed him in the bathroom! The restaurant is a sports-bar type place. I was waiting for the reenactment of the scene in Sweet Home Alabama...a classmate would approach me and exclaim "You have a baby...in a bar!". I felt the need to explain to everyone that he would not take a bottle and needed to eat.

So, part of me is happy because he is taking a bottle...but part of me is very sad.

1 comment:

Ken, Amy, & Will (for now) said...

I'm so sorry you are sad! It must be a very hard transition. I feel that way with every forward step with Will. I am so happy and proud of each accomplishment, but sad for myself that he's getting so big. Hang in there!