Family pic

Family pic

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Post about Gratitude

I intended to post this at Thanksgiving, but you know how that goes. A bit late, but here it is:


Pastor Steven preached a few weeks ago about money, and how we all are rich. We are so blessed to live in America and live like we do. He explained that we are all rich, we just need to change our perspective. He gave a series of examples like:

"If the heat goes out in your house, that's a rich people problem. If your car is not the latest model, that's a rich people problem. If you lost money in the stock market...If you can't sell your house..." Just about every problem we have can be turned around to show how blessed we are if we can just step back and change our perspective. Here are a few that I thought about this Thanksgiving:


I am thankful that we celebrated Thanksgiving at 3 different locations, that means we have a large family that is close by. We can see them on the special holidays and all throughout the year!


I am thankful that I am exhausted, that means I have a small baby to care for, to hold, to nurse, to snuggle on the couch with in the wee hours of the night/morning. Some women are up at night longing for that very thing.


I am thankful for my messy, noisy house. The floors are covered with Cheerios, crumbs, books and toys. It is loud with the sounds of squealing and laughter (sometimes crying and whining), but that means I have healthy children that run and play in our home. They grow up too fast!


I am thankful for the pile of my husband's work clothes on our bedroom floor, that means he has a job to go to and is able to provide for our family. And when he gets home he is willing to change clothes and spend some quality time with his family. He is a wonderful husband and father!


I am thankful that my body doesn't look the way it used to, because that means I was able to carry and birth my babies. But I am also thankful that the jeans I bought a few months ago look horrible on me now, because that means my gym visits are paying off! And...


I am thankful that I am almost thirty, because that means I may be able to replace those jeans with some new ones for my birthday!


See, a negative attitude can be turned into gratitude! It really has helped me to put things in perspective.


I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that your heart was full of joy and gratitude.

3 comments:

Het said...

Love, love, love this post!! I also was so convicted by that service. Nick actuallys reminds me frequently- "that is a rich person problem". Perspective truly makes all the difference!

farmersdaughter4ever said...

Thanks for the reminder! You are so right.. how we look at things really does matter! I needed to read this today...and be thankful that there are dr.s and meds to help my kids when they are sick!...even if it is giving me a grumpy 2 yr old...it's helping him get better and for that I am truly thankful!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post, Chelsea! You are right! Perfect timing for me reading this!
Kelly